Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-22 16:44:30

athena

Mercury M12

I have an old PA head that uses octal pre-amp tubes. I gutted it and have started to build a 6V6 Mercury in the chassis. Just using one input to one triode, PI, Trem, and the output tubes of course.
Any of you guys own a Mercury.? Would love to hear anything about them, especially about the amount of headroom.
Thank You

#2 2011-01-28 12:49:29

athena

Re: Mercury M12

Nobody has any experience with these I guess.?

#3 2011-01-31 10:15:38

ROBO
V.I.P.
Website

I got nothin on the mercury..but I'd like to see pics of your build thou if possible.
about 6-7 months ago I started a project from an old tube radio in found in my grandpa's garage. It was a fairly large chassis with a ton of holes already punched in. I decided to use a marshall 1959 schem as my game plan but do my own layout to suite my chassis. All in all it came out well with minor issues and was fun to build. I'd deffinatly like to see what some of the other guys on here are building.

Less talk, More rock

#4 2011-01-31 11:39:48

hangman
Banned

I wouldn't expect crazy amounts of headroom.  its a 15 watt amp

The amp uses all 6SL7s which are great tubes
I expect they sound like a jet,  with a little less gain.

#5 2011-02-01 09:45:56

athena

The chassis I am re-using has a rather small foot print. I did not have enough room to put a turret board in it (not with my layout skills anyway), so I am having to use terminal strips and go point to point every where. I have had to use both sides of the chassis to incorporate the trem circuit. I still have to fit in the power supply stuff....filter caps, bias cap/resistor. I am trying to keep the grounds in the proper places....we shall see how noisy it is when I am finished.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

#6 2011-02-01 17:47:38

athena

hangman wrote:

I wouldn't expect crazy amounts of headroom.  its a 15 watt amp

The amp uses all 6SL7s which are great tubes
I expect they sound like a jet,  with a little less gain.

Hey -
Yeah....it looks like the exact, same schematic; minus the trem circuit. I imagine it is a Jet with the addition of Tremolo. I am only using one input, to one half of a 6SL7, PI, Trem, and Power tubes.
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I never would have known; old Ampeg's are pretty foreign to me.......
Thanks Again

#7 2011-02-12 11:50:23

athena

ROBO wrote:

I got nothin on the mercury..but I'd like to see pics of your build thou if possible.
about 6-7 months ago I started a project from an old tube radio in found in my grandpa's garage. It was a fairly large chassis with a ton of holes already punched in. I decided to use a marshall 1959 schem as my game plan but do my own layout to suite my chassis. All in all it came out well with minor issues and was fun to build. I'd deffinatly like to see what some of the other guys on here are building.

Sorry I never responded to you one way or the other. I had the chassis out of the metal case for these pics, so it is missing the front and back panel that have all the pots and jacks. When I get a little further along, I will post some better, more complete looking pics.
I re-used the original tranny set from this old PA head. The circuit on the tranny covered side is for the tremolo. I just did not have enough room for it on the other side.
Anyway.....more pics soon.
Thanks

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n143 … one001.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n143 … one002.jpg

Board footer