Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-12-09 07:19:25

Liquids

Re: Ampeg Gemini 1's are one of the best smaller combo's around...

I would go with Weber if you can afford the cost and the wait time, *especially* if it's an alnico speaker:

http://www.tedweber.com/recone/

In the meantime, if you need something stat, just look for an eminence speaker Legend 1518.  It's $70, and the only thing cheaper than reconing. 

The selection for 15" is limited out there in the market outside of Weber, who makes a fair selection of 15s.  That speaker should sound real good, and probably 'pretty' close so long as it's not an alnico speaker in there right now. If you're OK going ceramic and 'gotta have that tone' but don't want to/cant re-cone, e-mail Weber about what 15" ceramic is closest. 

Again, for the money, especially if it's alnico, recone with weber - the reduced cost is worth the wait and quality if they say they will do it.

Matthew

#27 2010-12-09 07:30:30

Liquids

Also - Josh, I'm in CT but would definitely make the drive to try out all your Ampegs if you would have me!  big_smile 

I'd offer to bring my (slightly modded) V4 but you seem to have plenty of those...but if you needed some simple work done it could be arranged!  big_smile

Last edited by Liquids (2010-12-09 07:30:44)

Matthew

#28 2010-12-10 11:05:48

Liquids

How much?  And is a dolly and chiropractor included?  ;D

Matthew

#29 2010-12-22 13:21:42

alvis

I bought a workin Gem V chassis for 100 bucks.It was  in a homemade headbox with grey sweatpants covering ........yuck !
Then I stuck it in an empty Yamaha 2x12 combo cab
Last year a guy gave me a killer price on a J-Designs headbox and there she stays

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/ayhcult/various010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/ayhcult/whamamp001-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/ayhcult/whamamp002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/ayhcult/GeminiVheadbox.jpg

Last edited by alvis (2010-12-22 13:23:36)

#30 2011-08-19 05:53:54

Liquids

Those who are familiar with the Gemini 1s - I'm looking at the schematic.  How do you feel about the CLEAN tone, as compared to say the V-4?

The Gemini 1 looks to have a 12 inch speaker which is more my speed.  I've simulated the tone stack, and when treble and bass are bumped, the scoop is more in the 1K range than the fender zone (300hz-500hz depending on the variation).

Likewise with the cathode bias...

I know that hangman has said it's his favorite and he feels the pentode is what gives it it's charm.  But is that more once breakup is reached or also clean?

Does it do warm & bluesy well?  I've got the bandmaster head that I half-way started to mod into the raw B-25 circuit...but it's just sitting, and I need some inspiration since I love my V4's tone so much that I kinda want a counterpoint tone, but also one that I will also find usable and interesting...I seem to dial in more or less the same end-product tonality  no matter what amp I use!

Matthew

#31 2011-08-19 06:34:53

Liquids

Wait, is this deja vu?  Is it jsut a piazza thing?  Piazza has the treble EQ cap as 47pf / 470pf...but is it actually the standard 470pf / 4.7n in reality?  Can't find a factory schematic that indicated 47pf...Piazza strikes again?

Matthew

#32 2011-08-23 06:39:58

Liquids

Bueller?....Bueller?

Matthew

#33 2011-08-23 12:43:36

hangman
Banned

Piazzas schematics are always full of mistakes,  I wouldn't doubt he got the caps wrong.
I think the cleans are just as remarkable.  the amp really feels quick to me. 
when the amp was introduced it was one of ampegs most popular models.   it was The jazz amp of the mid 60s.   
It gets plenty bluesy though.   if you're looking for gnarly gigantic lows... the 12 inch jensen is gonna be the limiting factor.

#34 2011-08-23 19:12:10

Liquids

I'd probably hook it up to a cab if I wanted huge lows.  Does the reverberocket 2's internal speaker hook up via jack and plug, or straight 'wire' connection, stock?  None of the pictures I can find seem to make that clear or not - not that it can't be adjusted.

Matthew

#35 2011-08-24 06:48:43

Liquids

Working but ugly reverberocket 2 for $275.  Should I get it?

Matthew

#36 2011-08-24 16:38:33

hangman
Banned

the reverberocket 2 is a good amp,  but it lacks a little something in my opinion.  there is basically one less gain stage in that circuit than the g12.  the cleans are great,  but it doesn't sound as alive/reactive or quick as the g12 to me.

$275 is a good deal though

#37 2011-08-27 08:45:14

Liquids

I tried it an wanted it right away!  Got it for $225 too, and it works though the checkerboard tolex is beat in multiple places.  And plenty of cobwebs in the back if you look closely

It works and sounds so nice to me, all original tubes.  The Trem intensity just cuts volume and makes things a bit fizzy - probably the tube, but haven't opened it up yet.  Plenty of warmth with the bass dimed, but the attack is rather snappy to me, surprisingly, after hearing your take on it Steve.

Good amount of clean volume, and the range of tones is amazing for that simple little tone stack.  A nice range of break up when cranked too - really pleasant.  It goes further into grind than my V4 on 10, for sure, but my V4 as aforementioned is biased quite coldly, so it's harder to get it to break up.  This thing has some nice shades of grind between 5 and 8, 10 is just big and overkill, and a bit marshall-like if you ask me.

I really like the range on the tone controls.  It sounds good even with bass and treble zeroed, especially when breaking up. 

I like the reverb actually. It IS kind of echoey more than reverb-like though.  Very zurf rock. It gets pretty dramatic quickly,  too, though - I'd like to tame it down to dial it in a little more easily, which should be easy enough.

She's a winner!  And the original Jensen is still in there! And doesn't sound half bad though I imagine I'll like it even more with a good Eminence in there.   I may post photos once I open her up. 

I'm in love.  This amp kills the lauded deluxe reverb.  I SO don't miss my fender amp at all.

Matthew

#38 2012-02-15 18:03:33

Donzie

I'm a new guy here, didn't see a place to do an introduction so I guess I'll just jump in.
1 1/2 weeks ago I went to a club to listen to a blues band. I know the singer/gutarist so he asked me to set in. Lending me his backup Les Paul and an amp I played a set with him. I wasn't familar with the amp, it was a Reverberocket II. It was awesome! Obviously I've been living under a Fender amp because I knew nothing about these. We've been conversing back and forth about the amp (he owns 10 of 'em) and he told me about the Gemimi 1 and the VI (which he owns a couple of each). Today I paid him a visit and he let me test drive one of each. I came home with one of his Gemini 1s. What a cool-ass amp. The serial # is 027497. Does that give me a date? The only thing we think is not original is the speaker. It's in great condition and everything works on it, it does need a new handle. I'll post some pics when I figure how.

Last edited by Donzie (2012-02-15 20:27:58)

Board footer