Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-04 01:14:19

nitraus

Speakers to cut through the mix

This isn't a peculiar V4 issue (except the fact I'm playing a V4 head), so I beg your pardon if this post is too much out of the forum topic.

I'm currently playing my V4 through a Marshall 4x12 (loaded w/ 2x Celestion G12H-80s and 2x Eminence Private Jacks) and a Davoli 1x15 (loaded w/ Eminence Delta 15B).
I'm buying an empty oversized Mesa-style DIY 4x12 cab, which I'd like to fill with my 4x G12H-80s, leaving 2 speakers to fill the Marshall cab.
I'd like to buy speakers to both cut better through the mix, and have a decent bottom end; everybody is telling me to go with Vintage 30s but I'm not really sure about it, since I got a pair of them once but they sounded a bit thin. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance!

#2 2013-07-04 03:52:26

hangman
Banned

Re: Speakers to cut through the mix

I think speaker choice is relative to what you want to do with them and what your band mates use. 

I always laugh when I see bands with two guitar players using roughly the same amp, through roughly the same speaker.  Nothing cuts through... They inevitably get muddled together.
I think the vintage 30 is a great sounding speaker... But everybody uses it.
I would encourage you to Explore other options.  There are tons of speakers and they all sound different.   
Celestion golds are wicked, but very expensive.   
The Altec 417 would be interesting to look into as ampeg offered them in their cabs as an upgrade.  Very transparent,  a flatter tone that some people say can sound too sterile,  I think it is a great they provide a good solid platform to make your amp sound how you want.  Requires rethinking your eq a bit.

#3 2013-07-04 06:19:07

nitraus

Yep, you hit the point. The other guy playing with me uses 4x G12H-100s and 2x Vintage 30s. That's why I'd like to play in a different ballpark.
Altecs are almost impossible to find here in Italy, and buying 2 of them in the US would cost me almost as buying 4 new speakers..

#4 2013-07-04 09:22:09

hangman
Banned

What about some old dynacord stuff?   The electrovoice company had some great speakers available in the states and from what I understand EV is dynacord. 

Or some old Siemens speaker?  Klangfilm?  Fane? I don't know what is around over there.

Board footer