Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-09 14:14:45

beedoola

Tips on redoing head baffle grill cloth

I got a piece of scrap grill cloth to redo my V4 baffle but I'm having a hard time getting it to fit tightly. Any pointers?

#2 2013-09-09 15:15:05

AEB-1
VIP

Re: Tips on redoing head baffle grill cloth

when I do a baffle I staple one long side first, being sure to get the grain exactly straight along the baffle.  then start in the center of the other side and pull as tight as you can and staple, making sure the grain stays straight with each staple. Do the ends last. you can gently heat the cloth with a hair dryer to get it to shrink but be careful as the shrink temperature is almost the same as the melt temperature. Experiment on a stretched scrap if you plan to use heat. I prefer to stretch as tight as I can and only use heat as a last resort.

#3 2013-09-09 19:29:01

hangman
Banned

The method described above is similar to what I do.   I put one or two staples on one end of the first side and i stretch it a little,  and continue putting staples in as I am holding it. Then once that side is stapled,   I do one of the adjacent sides. Making sure to pull it tight when I put the staples in.   The rest is just making sure that the grill cloth pattern is strait and tight.

I've done fenders and ampegs this way with no problems.

#4 2013-09-25 04:58:03

AEB-1
VIP

It's not necessary, but you can buy canvas stretcher pliers to help grab the cloth. Sometimes they help, sometime they get in the way. Find them at art suppliers, Hobby Lobby, Ebay, etc..

#5 2013-12-08 11:58:54

cthendrico

I did this on a v4 cab.  One important note with the replacement grill cloth is that one side is shiny and one side a bit darker.  I think the darker is the side that should go out.  Its dang hard to see which is which until your done.  Darker I think is the squares moving up and to the right.

Board footer