Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-29 10:33:31

meexiko

Ampeg VT-22 How do the channels work?

Hi, i'm new here and I have a question about my VT-22.
It's a Master Volume version, two input channels (no distortion version), the same as the V-4 in the picture above.
Maybe is a newby question (in that case sorry for that), but I want to figure it out.
The amp have no problems (except some skretching noises when i turn up and down the knobs/rocker switches).
I use to link my guitar to channel one and set the volume one as I prefer. Today I was playing at low volume and I try to turn up the second channel volume knob (usually i left that to zero) to see what's happen. It works, the volume becomes bigger, more headroom and so on. Is it normal? Am I damaging the amp using it in that way?
I have bought the amp two years ago from a L.A. shop through ebay (I'm italian and I live in Italy). I use an external transformer/converter (220V to 115V) to run the amp. It was built from a good tech here in my city, after the first I bought broke down. The amp was owned by Ross Hogarth (I don't know him before receiving the amp, then I made some search on the web and I discovered he's a producer).
All the tubes are original, and I think also everything else inside is.
Sorry for my english if I made some mistakes, and thanks in advance.

#2 2014-05-30 05:38:00

meexiko

Re: Ampeg VT-22 How do the channels work?

It happens the same thing if i plug the guitar in the second channel and turn up both volume knobs. If i turn down the master volume to minimum or very low settings there's no increase in volume/headroom that i can hear. Could be the two input channels been jumpered?
I also noticed that if I set the channels rocker switches to different values the volume increases more.
Is it normal? Anyway the amp sounds better in that way.

#3 2014-06-02 14:13:33

hangman
Banned

the sensitivity rockers will change the volume of the associated channel.   the position of the volume know for channel one shouldn't really make a difference in sound if you are plugged into channel 2 and vice-versa.
if you are plugging into both inputs,   they the two volume controls should work independently of each other,  I can't speak to the sound....  i've never bothered.

#4 2014-06-03 00:46:47

meexiko

Thanks Hangman for the reply. If i plug both the channels everything work as normal, the rocker switches, the volume knobs...

Anyway the rocker switches thing is the strangest one. Example: I plug channel one, set volume to 1 (i'm in a flat now) with his rocker switch set to right (no db cut/0 value), than I set the second channel volume knob to 7 with the second channel's rocker switch set the same, the volume increases. Than if I set that rocker switch to the half or to the left (-6db/-9db) the volume increases more! It's like adding a bright channel (or that's what i feel)...

Could the two channels been jumpered? But how can that affects the rocker switches?

Board footer