You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » California
  •  » Great Northern California Amp Tech: Skip Simmons

#1 2009-03-19 16:06:57

theshaggyfox

Great Northern California Amp Tech: Skip Simmons

http://www.skipsimmonsamps.com

This guy is incredible. For any amp problems, go to him! :-)

#2 2010-11-30 10:32:35

sewage666
VIP
Website

Re: Great Northern California Amp Tech: Skip Simmons

Craig at Powerage in Oakland, CA did a top notch job on my V4B. It was humming like mad when I got it from eBay, and now it sings beautifully.

http://www.pwrage.com/

#3 2010-11-30 16:21:30

JustAGuy

sewage666 wrote:

Craig at Powerage in Oakland, CA did a top notch job on my V4B. It was humming like mad when I got it from eBay, and now it sings beautifully.

Just curious:  did he say what he did to stop the humming? Or did he perhaps give you an itemized receipt for the component(s) he changed?  Might be interesting to know...

Last edited by JustAGuy (2010-11-30 16:23:18)

#4 2010-12-21 12:34:42

sewage666
VIP
Website

JustAGuy wrote:

sewage666 wrote:

Just curious:  did he say what he did to stop the humming? Or did he perhaps give you an itemized receipt for the component(s) he changed?  Might be interesting to know...

Bad resistor connection, as I recall... it would hum, then squeal after a bit of playing. He also went over all the old solder connections from a sloppier job previous to my ownership and replaced the washers on the speaker inputs which had gone missing. It still hums a tad, but it's almost all original caps. I declined a new recap job. That's for the future, once the originals give out.

#5 2010-12-30 09:30:44

teledeluxe

"I declined a new recap job. That's for the future, once the originals give out."

You do know that when a power supply cap or bias cap fails they sometimes take out a transformer, right? I think it's okay to wait on a recap, but don't wait until one fails!

2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do!

#6 2011-01-01 10:36:44

JustAGuy

sewage666 wrote:

JustAGuy wrote:

Bad resistor connection, as I recall... it would hum, then squeal after a bit of playing. He also went over all the old solder connections from a sloppier job previous to my ownership and replaced the washers on the speaker inputs which had gone missing. It still hums a tad, but it's almost all original caps. I declined a new recap job. That's for the future, once the originals give out.

Thanks for the info, sewage666!  And Happy New Year to you and to all folks here!

#7 2011-01-04 09:17:02

sewage666
VIP
Website

teledeluxe wrote:

"I declined a new recap job. That's for the future, once the originals give out."

You do know that when a power supply cap or bias cap fails they sometimes take out a transformer, right? I think it's okay to wait on a recap, but don't wait until one fails!

Good to know! I was going on the technician's advice... "this could last 5 weeks or 5 years"

#8 2012-03-01 11:57:31

waltdogg

Is there anyone else in the bay who does good work?

Ampeg VT-22 - Ampeg SVT-VR - Ampeg SVT 810

• Index
  •  » California
  •  » Great Northern California Amp Tech: Skip Simmons

Board footer