Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-14 20:41:27

the fuhz

Ahhhhh, potential transformer disaster...

So today at band practice I discovered that the teenage son of our drummer has been using my bass amp all last week without permission.

Not that big of a deal, however, he was using a regular guitar cable for the amp to speaker connection, and plugged into the 'ext speaker' output, rather than the normal 'speaker' output.

Is there anything I can do to test if any damage has been done?  But I want to discover something sooner than later.  The amp turned on and operated as it should.  But I am still worried.  Overreacting?

#2 2013-01-14 23:27:25

hangman
Banned

Re: Ahhhhh, potential transformer disaster...

It there was nothing plugged into the speaker out,  only the ext speaker, the amp wouldn't have made a sound.  If the amp is working now I wouldn't sweat it too much.  Just tell the kid no more of that using shielded cable for a speaker cable crap.

As for over-reacting...  I dunno,  it certainly could have caused some damage,  so that is worth being a little upset about,  but since it didn't...  I wouldn't get too upset.   Kids are kids,  I know I used a shielded cable or two for a speaker cable in my youth.   Use it as an opportunity to teach him how to properly set an amp up.

#3 2013-01-15 08:55:26

the fuhz

hangman wrote:

It there was nothing plugged into the speaker out,  only the ext speaker, the amp wouldn't have made a sound.  If the amp is working now I wouldn't sweat it too much.  Just tell the kid no more of that using shielded cable for a speaker cable crap.

As for over-reacting...  I dunno,  it certainly could have caused some damage,  so that is worth being a little upset about,  but since it didn't...  I wouldn't get too upset.   Kids are kids,  I know I used a shielded cable or two for a speaker cable in my youth.   Use it as an opportunity to teach him how to properly set an amp up.

Ok, good to know.
Im slightly puzzled because the wire was definitely left in the 'ext speaker' jack.  Maybe I can run a test later and see if mine actually makes noise in that position or not.

Thanks for the info!

#4 2013-01-20 21:54:34

the fuhz

So for whatever its worth, I tried plugging into the 'ext speaker' jack and it did in fact make noise.  It was pretty distorted and low in volume.  Is this normal in any way?

#5 2013-01-20 23:06:13

hangman
Banned

It is very unhealthy for your amp to be plugged in tht way.  The regular speaker jack uses a shorting type jack, meaning that when nothing isplugged into it,  it shorts the output to ground. 

This puts an effective load of zero ohms in the power amp.   (Bad news).

Board footer