Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-20 02:13:45

amdgoding

V4 Poblems

I purchased a V4 about 2 weeks ago.  It had been sitting in a garage for around 10 years before I got it.  Surprisingly, it worked fine at first, with scratchy pots of course.  Both channels worked and it was really loud.  It did not have a ground and would shock me whenever I made contact with another amp or something plugged in to another amp that was running.  After being shocked several times by a microphone onstage, i contacted a friend and he helped me install a ground. 
   When we went to use it later, only channel 2 worked (i usually just used channel 1 because channel 2 made a weird noise intermittently whenever the volume was on, regardless of weather or not i was plugged in to it) and it sounded fine, other than the weird noise. 
    The next day, i was using it at a low volume, and it was working fine for a while, but then it would make a loud popping noise, similar to when you unplug a guitar while the amp is running, randomly without turning any knobs, and even with nothing plugged in to the input jack.  It stopped when the amp was turned to standby.
   The next day the amp didn't really work at all.  With the volume at 12 o clock, the guitar itself was louder than the amp.  I checked all the connections to and from the amp, the tubes were glowing, and it was warmed up.

Please help me diagnose the problem(s)

The tubes are all pretty old,  the power tubes are all GE 7027a's, and all the other tubes seem to be the correct type. (they are hard to read)

#2 2012-05-21 00:27:20

amdgoding

Re: V4 Poblems

Ok, i went to radio shack and picked up their cleaner/lubed stuff and sprayed that in the pots.  I also bent the speaker output jack to apply more pressure to the cable.  In addition i removed the tubes and used a can of duster to clean the sockets.  Both channels work now and it sounds way better than it did before. 
    I will probably be back asking about some other problem in the near future. 
    I love this website, peace.

Board footer