Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-17 21:28:29

syscokid

Natural Overdrive Levels on the VT-22 (or V4)

I think my VT-22, which I just got last December, is a 73 or 74. I also just got a new Rivera Rock Crusher power attenuator. Now I can explore more tonal or distorted options without making enemies. Before the Rock Crusher, I couldn't turn either ultra sensitive volume controls past 8:30 without the painful volume...which the amp remained very clean at this setting. Now with an attenuator and at reasonable volumes, the amp is breaking up at about 9:30. By 11:00, it's well into classic Hard Rock territory...which is fine to me, but I'm wondering if this is normal...?

By the way: Even at these gainier settings... Humbuckers, P90's, and Single Coils clean up beautifully when rolling back on the guitar's volume control. I love the Mid contol circuit of this amp.

Also: Has anybody operated these amps maxed-out for a long period of time...30 minutes, 1 hour, or more?

#2 2013-03-18 15:31:34

hangman
Banned

Re: Natural Overdrive Levels on the VT-22 (or V4)

Yes it is normal.  You could change the volume pots to audio log pots (right now they are linear) and that would help some,   But these were not designed to be quiet amps.

I dunno about maxing the amp out...  The amp gets as distorted as I would ever need it by the time the volume is at 12oclock.

#3 2013-03-18 23:51:43

syscokid

Re: Natural Overdrive Levels on the VT-22 (or V4)

hangman wrote:

Yes it is normal....   The amp gets as distorted as I would ever need it by the time the volume is at 12oclock.

Well, that's good news then. I totally agree on the volume at 12:00.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by how sweet this amp sounds when naturally overdriven. Once again... the power attenuator to the rescue!

Board footer