Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-23 01:56:52

gfdl

Model AX-44C

Experiencing malfunction.  The Amp is somehow switching from amplification to no amplification.  Have tried changing the PreAmp Tube but no change.
The reverb unit is working as well as the various channels meaning the pots appear to be in working order (stress apparently). The lights for Channel A, B and Chorus are all working properly with the applicable pots. Its kind of like something is popping in and out of function in the solid state circuitry,
Can anyone provide some thoughts on what might be the issue with this great amplifier???
Puzzled

#2 2013-12-23 06:01:38

hangman
Banned

Re: Model AX-44C

Not an amp I am very familiar with.   But it sounds like maybe a bad solder joint?  Take it to a tech and have them diagnose it

#3 2013-12-28 02:01:37

gfdl

Re: Model AX-44C

hangman,
Thank you for taking the time to offer response.
Realize it isn't a very common amp but when it works it sounds so good. I wouldn't dare go under the hood as the potential for encountering high voltage is too great. Though I have a technical background, it isn't in electrical components. Anyway, I have located a tech about 50 miles away (after viewing other posts on the site) and continue searching for a good one closer. Meanwhile I continue experimenting with the amp. Everything works well but after about 10 minutes of run time it bops out and no amplification is the result.  I'm thinking it has to do with a component that is getting warm and causing a blip in the circuit function.  If it is turned off and rests for a while, it comes right back...damnedest thing. Anyway, if you have any other thoughts, would surely appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Board footer