Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » The Workshop
  •  » Need quick response !! Amp tech doesn't like V4 and reccomends ....

#1 2007-01-01 17:43:52

Dr.Tom

Need quick response !! Amp tech doesn't like V4 and reccomends ....

....getting rid of it. I just bought a V4 off Ebay and paid a premium becuase it came from a music store in Philly who claimed that everything checked out . Well it's making noise that sounds like a thunder storm that makes it unplayable. The music store wants me to ship it back; they have isolated the problem to the preamp.They want to repair it and ship it back to me.

The other option is to get my money back.

I called my local amp tech/guru and he tells me that he doesn't like V4's for a number of reasons. They are not point-to-point; they have printed circuit boards; the tube sockets are attached to the printed circuit boards(PCB) which heats up the PCBs causing them to warp and heating up all nearby components possibly causing problems.
He also says that these amps are not easy to work on and that his diagnosis and repair of my particular problem could cost me a few few hunded $s before he is through because it's very labor intensive. He said that he has worked on 3 V4s in the last month and recommends that I just get my money back and get a different amp(i.e. not a V4).

I really like the sound and reverb of the V4 but don't want to be plagued by problems. What opinions/advice can you give me ?

Regards,

Tom

#2 2007-01-02 16:40:03

Geoffrey Teese

Re: Need quick response !! Amp tech doesn't like V4 and reccomends ....

Hi,

I'll preface this by stating that I am NOT an amp tech, although I do manage to keep my own amps running.  That said, a well laid out pcb based amp can be just as good as a point-to-point or strip board based amp.  I've had my VT-22 for about 20 years and have only had to reflow one bad solder joint on the Ch.2 volume control and replace one capacitor.  (I still need to replace the power rocker switch.)  My amp has been gigged with extensively and there has been no board warpage or component damage from tube heat.  Sure, the V4/VT22 isn't that easy to work on as there are scores of parts that need to be removed in order to get at the chassis.  That alone can be a repair person's nightmare.  Of course, loads of amps are built like that.

Here's my 2 cents worth...  If the selling music store is willing to make the amp whole, with NO problems, and with NO additional cost to you other than $hipping (heavy buggers), then get the work done and keep it.

Of course, I got my first V4 amp in 1973, so I am VERY partial to them, as well as the VT22 combo that I own now.

Good luck.

Peace, Love, and Wah,
Geoffrey

#3 2007-01-02 18:01:09

Dr.Tom

Geoffrey,

Thank you. I am leaning the way that you have suggested. I'm going to try to get the music store to fix it and give me 90 days on the repair. If they can see their way through that then I'll keep it. I really like the sound of the amp; has more bottom end than my Fenders and I like the Reverb. My plan was to use this as my practice amp and my Ampeg Gemini 1 as my gigging amp(it would be mic'ed).

I also received an email from David R. and he has suggested that I keep it as well.Thank you both for the encouragement as I was considering doing this but wasn't 100% convinced; now I am.

Geoffrey,

As an aside, I just recieved my picture wah over the holidays and it is fantastic . I am running the picture wah on one board and my RMC-3 an the other. Have you evr set a tone with one wah and then run it through another?

Regards,

Tom

Last edited by Dr.Tom (2007-01-02 18:01:46)

#4 2007-01-03 01:44:19

Geoffrey Teese

Hi Tom,

Interestingly, I also went to the V4 because it could give me my basic Fender sound that I'd used for years but more oomph.  I've never looked back.  However, I'm also a gear whore and have a nice stable of old (a.k.a. vintage) amps.

As for the wahs, yes, if you can think it, I've tried it.;-)  I still prefer one wah at a time, although numerous players now have more than one on their boards.

BTW - If you get the chance, ask your amp tech what type of rocker switch would be the proper replacement for a VT22/V4 master power on/off switch.  If he has one on hand, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.  Thanks.

Peace, Love, and Wah,
Geoffrey

#5 2007-01-03 14:45:26

Dr.Tom

Geoffrey,

I'll ask my amp tech and see if he knows or has any.

As far as gear whores go, here is my gear list. In my case, I use gear to try to make up for lack of talent :

ELECTRICS : 2006 PRS CU 22 12 String Ch. Sunburst; 2004 PRS Hollowbody II McCart Sunburst; 2005 PRS Modern Eagle 20th Ann. Charcoal, 2005 PRS CU24 20th Ann.Artist Blue Matteo,; 1997 PRS Santana 1 ,Sunburst ; 1965 SG Special - White ; 1963 Fender Strat- sunburst ; 1964 Gretsch Country Gent-dark walnut ; 1998 Gretsch Country Classic Jr. ; 2001 Gibson ES-335 - natural ; 2004 Gibson Firebird - white ; 1966 Fender Electric XII ; 1989 Fender Strat Plus Deluxe - greyburst ; 1969 Fender Tele- Blonde ; 1969 Fender Esquire - Blonde ; 1969 Fender Tele Bass - Blonde ; 199? Jackson Randy Rhodes V - black ; 199? Peavey Wolfgang - cognac burst ; 200? Gretsch Duojet 1957 RI - black w/bigsby ; 2005 Gibson SG Special - black ; 1968 Vox Sidewinder Bass- cherry ; 1965 Silvertone amp-in-case 2pickup - red sparkle
ACOUSTICS : 2006 Takamine TAN 15C; 2006 Ovation 1858LX 12 String ; 2001 Takamine SW341SC(Steve Wariner Signature); 1989 Takamine EF360S ; 2004 Taylor 314CE ; 2004 Taylor 814CE ; 1990 Takamine FP400SC 12 String ;197? Bruno Royal Artist acoustic

Amps:
1965 Pro Reverb,1966 Vibrolux Reverb, two 1968 Super Reverbs, two 1968 Vibrolux Reverbs,1968 Princeton Reverb, 1968 Deluxe Reverb, 1968 Bandmaster Reverb, two 1969 Bandmaster Reverbs, Vox AC15 2x10, Vox AC15TBX, Marshall DSL 401,Mesa Boogie Mark IV, 1964 Ampeg Gemini 1;1970s Ampeg V4 ; Vox AC30CC1

Pedals:
ADA Flanger w/RI Foot pedal(Vintage),Analogman Stereo Chorus, (2) Analogman ,Bi-Comprossors,Analogman SunFace(NKT 275),BJF Honey Bee Overdrive,Boss Line Selector LS-2,Boss Equalizer GE-7,Boss PN-2 Tremolo/Pan,Boss Power Supply PSM-5,(5) Boss Chromatic Tuners TU-2,Boss DD-20 Giga Delay,Boss Metal Zone MT-2,Boss BF-1 Flanger(Vintage),Boss DM-2 Delay,Boss Delay DM-3,(2) Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble,Boss Bass Chorus CE-2B,Digitech Whammy II,Digitech FX-17 Wah/Vol,Digitech Bass Driver(X-Series),Digitech Jam Man,(5) Ernie Ball Volume Pedals,EH Screaming Bird Treble Booster,EH Small Stone Phase(Vintage),EH Big Muff PI(Vintage),FoxRox Captain Coconut II,Fulltone 69 Fuzz,Fulltone Clyde Wah,Gibson Maestro Fuzztone (FZ-1A),Hermidia Zendrive,Hermidia Mosferatu,
Ibanez CS-9 Stereo Chorus,Ibanez TS-9 RI,(2)Ibanez TS-9DX,Ibanez TS-9DX Keeley Mod,Ibanez TS-9 Analogman Mod,Ibanez TS-9DX Analogman Mod,Ibanez Original TS-9(Analogman upgrade),Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah,Keeley 3-Way Rat,Keeley Rangemaster,(2) MXR Distortion+ (Vintage),MXR Phase 100 (Vintage-Script),MXR Dynacomp (Vintage-Script),MXR Noisegate Linedriver(Vintage),MXR Micro Flanger(Vintage),
MXR Loop Selector(Vintage),MXR Power Converter(Vintage),Paul Cochrane Timmy,
Peterson Strobo Stomp,Peterson VS-II Virtual Strobe Tuner,Pro Analog Dual Drive,Radial ToneBone Classic Distortion,Time Machine Boost,T.C. Electronics Stereo Chorus,Vox Big Ben Overdrive,Whirlwind Selector A/B Box,Teese RMC-3 Wah,Teese Picture Wah

Regards,

Tom

#6 2007-01-05 14:47:31

Geoffrey Teese

Hi Tom,

WOW!  You've got a lot of stuff.  I guess that downgrades me from gear whore to a simple gear slut. ;-)

Thanks for trying to get the switch info.

Peace, Love, and Wah,
Geoffrey

#7 2007-01-05 19:23:56

Truckfredo

Dagnabbit!! Thats a lot.... It would be heaven for me with just half of that stuff.

#8 2007-01-20 15:48:54

Dr.Tom

If you remember I scored a V4 on ebay that then gave me trouble so I sent it back to the music store to have it fixed. I got it back and it seemed to be working OK until last night at practice. The sound was cutting in and out and then it was distorting. At first I thought it must be a lose cable in my pedal board or the guitar cable. I've eliminated those two diagnosis and I may have to send it back for refund !!This is killing me because I love the sound .

Regards,

Tom

#9 2007-01-21 18:37:47

Dr.Tom

I've definitely decided to send it back. If the music stores tech can't get it right then there is something seriously wrong here. Darn it ! May start looking for another; but I'll now be gun shy.

Regards,

Tom

#10 2007-07-08 13:09:36

Lexicon Devil

His argument is faulty, as nearly all tube amps that your not going to shell out lots of cash for these days utilise PC Board construction. You generally will not have problems with an amp that mounts preamp tubes on PC Boards like Ampeg, Orange and a few other makes did in the 70's. --The PC boards that they utilised were solid enough.

The real problem arises whien you mount output tubes on PC boards due to their large size and the heat that they give off. Sterling Imports had this problem when they made Hiwatt amps. I've seen some Peavey's that utilised this construction technique, and I got rid of the nearly brand new Classic 50 I had for this very reason. As far as I know, Vintage Ampegs never employed this construction shortcut.

If possible, try to find another decent tech. Finding a good amp tech, though can be a bit problematic, as the ones who really know what they're doing and won't screw you over seem to be in the minorirty from what I've seen.

#11 2007-08-12 01:06:10

MegaZilla

i'd say a tech that tells you to get your money back rather then try to screw you out of several hundard dollers for himself probably IS a good tech.  an honest one anyway.

#12 2007-09-22 01:14:00

hangman
Banned

Tube "gurus" have a tendency to be opinionated.   Regardless of his opinion,  the V-4 is a great amp.  My Vt-22 is my favorite high power guitar amp I've ever owned, and I've ownd quite a few.

The guy may be a good tech.  But there is no reason to stuff his opinions about circuit board construction down your throat.
a point to point handwired amp of this same power will cost almost twice what you probably paid for the V-4.

#13 2007-11-03 14:46:41

paully

Geoffrey Teese wrote:

what type of rocker switch would be the proper replacement for a VT22/V4 master power on/off switch.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Geoffrey,

FWIW, if you can measure the physical dims of the current switch, a lot of times NTE electronics stuff will match up. I've used there switches on other Ampeg gear. Here's the link to their rockers:

http://nteinc.com/switches/pdf/rocker.pdf

Best, Paul

WADAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!

#14 2007-11-03 16:15:43

Dr.Tom

Geoffrey Teese wrote:

what type of rocker switch would be the proper replacement for a VT22/V4 master power on/off switch.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Geoffrey,

FWIW, if you can measure the physical dims of the current switch, a lot of times NTE electronics stuff will match up. I've used there switches on other Ampeg gear. Here's the link to their rockers:

http://nteinc.com/switches/pdf/rocker.pdf

Best, Paul

Paul,

If you scroll down to a previous entry by Goeffrey Teese called "power rocker switches" or something like that he gives the source for a replacement.

http://ampegv4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=44

Regards,

Tom

#15 2007-11-03 19:25:30

paully

Duly noted. Thanks, Tom. I keep a master list of sources for stuff like this. Knobs are the biggest PITA to match up.

Best, Paul

WADAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!

#16 2007-11-03 19:56:38

Dr.Tom

Paul,

Your welcome. Prior to Goeffrey finding that source there really was no other source for the switches. Even my amp tech couldn't find them. So this is a great find for all of us.

Regards,

Tom

• Index
  •  » The Workshop
  •  » Need quick response !! Amp tech doesn't like V4 and reccomends ....

Board footer