Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-23 12:42:08

hal0tw0

Highest gain tubes

Hey guys. Couple of questions. For you guys that play metal with a V4, what are the highest gain tubes avialable. I have a master volume add on mod that sounds good when the preamp is cranked to 10 and MV leveled off to listenable volumes. I realize the gain comes from the preamp tubes so I want to know which you like best.

Also, when playing with an overdrive pedal with the master volume cranked and preamp on lower the power amp tubes pulse blue. I read thats normal. But the tube in space 3 doesnt pulse blue on heavy playing. It glows though. Any thoughts?

Thanks

#2 2012-01-24 13:56:55

Liquids

Re: Highest gain tubes

There's a new production tube out there that I don't know too much about, but barring that, my understanding is the new production tubes labeled "Tung Sol" 12ax7 tubes are by far the highest gain.  I like them.  They are typically touted as low noise.  I've had some noise issues with them, which I would count as a fluke, as allegedly they are (or were) so frequently low noise that re-sellers have confessed to me in the past (when I reported I got some noisy ones) that they don't even bother testing them for noise since so few of them are noisy.  I've had a few that started low on noise and develop noise, too.  I mean noise as a kind of intermittent crackle/pop sound. I admit that this may have been an oxidation issue with old tube sockets etc.

IF you really want higher gain, in adition to running your amp at 10, don't be afraid to get something like the barber launch pad, or a basic op-amp 'clean boost' that will merely make your input signal louder and hit the input tube hard, which will in turn drive the rest of the tubes in the chain harder.

As for Blue Glow:  http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Tubes/blue_glow.html

Matthew

#3 2012-01-26 22:34:23

hal0tw0

Thanks for your reply. Im researching all the different tubes and their characteristics but its good to hear real world ampeg users and their stories.

The tube glow is all figured out. Thanks again

#4 2012-02-07 23:13:12

nitraus

You should check TAD tubes too. They have several tube-types to match almost anyone's needs.

#5 2012-02-27 04:26:54

floranicolas

A 12AT7 is actually higher gain than a 12AY7. Also, most of us define "headroom" as the amount of clean volume an amp will give you before distortion, not where the knob is pointed when the amp starts to break up. Swapping preamp tubes won't give you any more clean volume, but switching to lower-gain tubes may make it easier to dial in your distortion settings.

Board footer