Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-20 20:07:23

beedoola

Large amount of ground noise (video link inside)

I recapped my V4 using a method I used on the past for my VT-22 with great success - thanks again to Hangwire for the advice and pictures!

This v4 was noisy before and is still noisy now - I'm not attributing the current noise to the new cap job - though that could be the case, I'm not sure.

So below is a video - more for audio purposes, of the noise. The I turn the amp off standby - the volume is OFF and nothing is plugged into the input.

The grouding in my apartment may not be good or there at all - there are some 3 prong outlets but I'm not sure if the wiring is done properly. I also experience some noise when turning standy ON - note that in the video the sound of the switch is pretty loud, so it kind of masks the sound but you can hear a fizz out when I turn standby ON.

Any suggestions an where to start looking within the amp? The caps I replaced were the cans.

http://youtu.be/k2VVrasa1Jw

Last edited by beedoola (2012-03-20 20:09:18)

#2 2012-03-26 18:26:21

beedoola

Re: Large amount of ground noise (video link inside)

any thoughts? : (

#3 2012-03-30 21:16:08

athena

Re: Large amount of ground noise (video link inside)

Can you proof-read paragraph 3 of your post.? I think we are missing some of your thoughts.?
Anyway....I assume you are talking about the "buzz" sound more than the "hum".
If so, it seems more like some type of RF to me. While watching your video, doesn't the "noise" get worse as you approach the amp with your camera.?
Have you tried this amp in a room/building with decent power.?
You need to do that first.
What about dimmers, clocks, cell phones, etc. etc.
Best

Board footer