Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-03 00:07:04

cthendrico

I just bought a LIKE SHOWROOM condition VT-40!!!

Just got a smoking deal on a closet piece this old boy had in his storage since the 70's.  It even has the TAGS still on it!  I don't want to even say how much I spent for it but it was literally dirt cheap.  It sounds amazing.  No hum or hiss, no bad speakers, no nothing.  Its like I travelled back in time to the 70's and went in a local music shop and bought it.  He just wanted someone to play it.  I want to post pics of it but don't really know how.  So i'll just try to post them in the body of this message

#2 2013-05-08 02:43:05

cthendrico

Re: I just bought a LIKE SHOWROOM condition VT-40!!!

Oh need some advice. There was a small tear in the grill cloth. Should I replace it or leave it completely original? Besides that it would be cosmetically perfect

#3 2013-06-01 00:39:22

greengoblin

If the grill is removable like regular ampeg cabs, why not build a new one with new cloth... Then save the orig in the closet..

If not , I don't really see it losing much value with new cloth.. Most wont want a tear on a re-sale unless they are an absolute purist.

#4 2013-06-03 03:40:21

cthendrico

I actually did kind of a poor man's restoration.  I pulled off the speaker baffle that was velcroed in.  Set the speaker baffle on a flat surface and then pulled the fabric together as best i could.  I used Gorilla brand tape on the inside to hold the rip together.  The tape had a gray look to it so it halfway blended with the other material.  on the outside facing side of the baffle, i ran a lighter very very lightly up and down the rip that melted the frayed ends.  Its not perfect but you definitely can't tell there was ever a rip from the audiences seats.  What do you think?  Blasphemy or am i the ampeg macgyver?

#5 2013-06-03 16:35:42

greengoblin

I am sure there are some who may not like it. Some are purists, some are up for anything.. 

I say do what makes you happy.  If you like it or want it this way, then great!  The repair idea you used was great and kept it original.. Besides, 98% of the peeps in the crowd won't know if it is a repair, original or new material!  smile

#6 2013-06-03 21:24:20

hangman
Banned

I like using the original material if possible,  I dig your macgyver fix.  Most people would've just replaced it.

I tend to like some rips and tears on my amps, just a personal preference.

Board footer