Ampeg V4.com

forum

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-21 23:47:35

slider

just received a pair of ampeg v4 cabinets, what next?

hi -

Not sure why the font size I'm seeing when I'm typing here is so small, but whatever...hopefully you are seeing in a normal font size. I just registered with the website a few moments ago, and am hoping for some insight from folks who know about AmpegV4s.

I am cleaning out my dad's basement, and somewhere along the line he picked up a pair of Ampeg V4 speaker cabinets.  I took off the grill of one, and unscrewed one of the 12" speakers and noted the markings on the back of the speaker:

137 7331
8 ohms

From surfing, these Ampegs appear to have the original CTS speakers installed. From what I can tell, the cones are in ok shape, no physical damage that I can see.  The cabinets themselves aren't in the best condition, having been in a damp basement for years.  External metal parts, e.g. rounded metal feet, are corroding.

So, what should I do next?  Am I better off removing each of the speakers to try to craigslisting/ebaying them as a set? Or is there a market for intact AmpegV4 cabinets, even if in medium-to-poor condition?

I'm located in NJ, not far from NYC.

Any feedback appreciated.  Thanks!

#2 2013-08-22 01:00:32

hangman
Banned

Re: just received a pair of ampeg v4 cabinets, what next?

Sell the cabs whole.   The speakers are not particularly valuable.   So there is no benefit to selling them separate.   If anything it would make it harder. 
If the cabs are a bit beat up that's no big deal.   Some people really like beat up looking stuff.

#3 2013-08-22 02:13:47

Oren Hudson

Totally agree with hangman.  BTW - the speaker code that you stated would make the speaker made the 31st week of 1973.

#4 2013-08-23 00:46:39

slider

hangman, oren -

thanks for the quick responses and for pointing me in the right direction!

#5 2013-08-23 02:26:53

Oren Hudson

A tip for checking another aspect of the speaker - from opposite sides of the cone, gently and lightly push the cone in and out.  Do the pushing from more nearer the outer part of the cone and check for any scratching sounds or other noises.  If no sounds, a good sign.

Board footer